Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wednesday Romance

Happy Wednesday!!!

I have been so sick this last week and I'm still exhausted. I haven't done much writing, but I've done a little editing. My head is still stuffy, and my throat is raw. I was planning to write something, but I have a shorter attention span than my three-year-old. I didn't sleep well last night, so I'm sure that didn't help.

Okay. Enough pity. I thought I'd share with you a review of one of my FAVORITE books of all time!! I wish I could have been this clever to come up with a book like this! I love the twists and turns of the story. AND I LOVE THE HERO!!!! Valek. How can you not love a man with that name? Trust me. You will love him. Before I get ahead of myself, let me give you a brief overview.

Poison Study, by Maria V. Snyder

Choose: A quick death . . . Or slow poison . . .

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace -- and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust -- and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear . . .

Now this is less of a romance and more of a fast paced adventure, but I LOVE it!!! And there is a great romance in it! I have recently taken a keen interest in books with a bit of supernatural to them. Poison Study has it in spades. Ixia is a fictional kingdom and the adventures are endless. Trust me. There are two more books in this series and another series of three that are related to this!! LOVE IT!

So Yelena becomes a food taster and tests for poisons in the Commander's (ruler) food instead of hanging for murder. She reports daily to Valek who gives her an antidote to the poison he gives her in the beginning called Butterfly Dust. The antidote is the only way to keep the poison from killing her.

As Yelena discovers she possesses magic, which is forbidden, she also learns self defense and meets some friends, who are refreshingly funny. She is constantly on the run from the father of the man she killed, and others who have discovered her magic. She also discovers that Valek, the best assassin in the land, has a softer side that no one is aware of. Amidst avoiding death each day, Yelena finds love and must find a way to preserve it.

If you haven't read this book, I would recommend it! It's lots of fun!

4 comments:

Freyja Colborn said...

sounds like a cool book. Thanks for sharing. I am always on the lookout for new books to read. Hope you feel better soon.

Rachel Harlin said...

Thanks, Freyja! Whatever I have has been sticking around FOREVER! I hope you check out this book! It's a good one!

Jolene Perry said...

Thanks! That sounds WAY fun :)

Jenn said...

The daily antidote is a really cool concept! I've been reading a lot of fantasy/paranormal romance books, and while this is still fantasy, it sounds like a nice change of pace where it's still humans (and only humans) but where I can still get a bit of a fantasy fix. Thanks!