Monday, December 27, 2010

Donut Recipe

We have always lived close to family and never had any of our own Christmas Traditions. This year, we live far away and were spending Christmas at home, so I decided we should create some new traditions! On Christmas Eve, we made donuts!
Now, you need to know, I don't like donuts, as a general rule. They are greasy and don't taste great, so why add all those calories to your diet for no real reason? Then my friend made her family recipe and I have to say, I BEGGED for this recipe!

I made these for my family and they were fantastic! And they looked great too! I posted the pictures on Facebook and was asked to post the recipe. So here it is. I hope you enjoy them!

Note: As I had never made donuts before, I did some research. If you'd like, The Pioneer Woman Cooks blog has a great step-by-step guide of how-to-make donuts you may find helpful. I did. Her recipe is different, but it will give you a general idea of what to do and what to expect!
Also, my friend told me that you should glaze all the donuts, even if you plan to dip them in chocolate or something. The glaze will help lock in the moisture and help them stay fresh longer!

An Aside: I didn't have a biscuit cutter or donut cutter so I used a drinking glass and a medicine cup. :)

1 T yeast
1/4 C hot water
1 t salt
3/4 C luke warm water
1/4 C sugar
1 egg
1/4 C soft shortening
3 1/2 to 3 3/4 C flour

Soften yeast in hot water and a little of the sugar. Add the rest of the ingredients including half of the flour and mix. Knead in the rest of the flour. (Dough should be soft but not overly sticky.) Place in a greased bowl and let rise until double. Punch down and let rise until double again. Roll out dough 1/3" thick and cut out donuts. Let rise for 40 minutes on a floured surface (in a draft free place.) Heat oil to 375 degrees. Gently place 4 to 5 donuts in oil at a time for about 40 seconds. Flip over and fry on other side. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain excess oil. Immediately immerse in glaze and cool. Makes 18

Glaze

1lb powdered sugar
1/2 C hot water
1/2 C butter

Heat over medium high heat and stir until melted and combined. If it's too runny and hot, cool slightly before dipping donuts. This recipe will allow you to dip 18 donuts.
Enjoy! They are DELICIOUS!

4 comments:

Cassandra said...

Those Donuts look really yummy!

Rachel Harlin said...

They were ULTRA yummy!! ;)

kbrebes said...

Thanks for the recipe, Rachel. I can't wait to make these!!!

Rachel Harlin said...

Be careful! They are positively sinful!! :)