Thursday, September 29, 2022

I'm Going Back to School

I recently started taking college classes. Yes, that's right! I'm 41, mother of 8 daughters, and going back to school. And I'm doing it ONLINE!

While this is a daunting task, I find I love learning! And I thrive on learning things that I'm interested in. The surprising thing? The class I thought I'd dislike the most, I'm actually learning the most about myself in.

Let me explain.

I'm taking a Communication class. As an author, I should be good at communicating. Right? Nope. Not me! I thought I did just fine, but apparently there is a TON I don't know!

When I started this class, my daughter asked me why I didn't like it. I told her that I hate group work, I don't mind analyzing my own thoughts and actions, but I don't like sharing them or talking about them with others. And I really don't like others analyzing my thoughts and actions either. To this answer, she looked at me and said, "You do realize that's exactly what a communications class is, right?"

Ugh. See? This is exactly why it's my least favorite class!

However, in just 3 weeks, I have probably learned more about myself and communication than in my other two classes combined. (Yes, that's right. I'm the full time working mom taking 3 college classes. I know. I'm crazy!) At any rate, I have not only had to analyze myself, I've learned a little about myself as well. For example, I've learned that I've come a long way in the last 20 years! I've learned I have a lot to be proud of in myself! And I've learned that I'm smarter than I think I am.

Something else I've learned is that I have more time than I think I do. I didn't think I'd have time for school. And yet, I'm keeping up, completing my assignments ahead of time, and still able to edit my book from time to time. Who knew? It seriously makes me wonder what I was doing with all my time before.

So, even though I'm probably busier now than I've ever been before, I'm learning and growing and happy. This has taught me that if we want something, all we have to do is go to work and try!

No comments: