Monday, April 23, 2012

Secondhand Charm, by Julie Berry

Today's review is Secondhand Charm by Julie Berry.


Brief Summary:
In a secluded village, magic sparkles on the edges of the forest. There, a young girl named Evie possesses unusually strong powers as a healer. A gypsy's charms--no more than trinkets when worn by others--are remarkably potent when Evie ties them around her neck. Her talents, and charms, have not escaped the notice of the shy stonemason's apprentice. But Evie wants more than a quiet village and the boy next-door. When the young king's carriage arrives one day, and his footman has fallen ill, Evie might just get her chance after all...


My Take:
I don't always like YA books, maybe because I'm starting to feel old since my oldest daughter is nearing her teen years. Anyway, I remembered enjoying The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry, so I thought I'd give this a try.


I am thrilled to report that I loved Secondhand Charm! I'm not sure why. I don't like snakes at all, but I was drawn into the book from the first page. (I'm working on figuring out how to do that with my own writing as well, so this was good for me to recognize.)


Evie is a young girl who wants to learn about being a doctor. Due to the kindness of the king, she travels to the capital to attend the university. On her way, she discovers that the things she'd always believed about herself are not true. Everything changes in the time it takes for the ship she's traveling on to sink. She puts her education on hold in order to learn more about her background. Through everything, there is a certain boy who keeps coming to her aide. Though he has his own struggles, the romance that blossoms between them is sweet and intense. As together they save the kingdom, they must both decide what they truly want.


Since I love romances, (not that this is considered a romance, but there is a nice little bit of it in here,) I have been trying to dissect the romance in this novel. It is simple and sweet, yet the book is not focused on it. Still, I think it is the not knowing what will happen is part of what spurred me on.

If you are looking for a fun, fast read, you will surely enjoy this book!

No comments: