Monday, August 23, 2010

You Doubt Me? Sometimes I do!

Are we having any fun with Wednesday Romances? I am, so I hope you are too.

I asked what readers wanted to know about me and I'm planning to answer another one today.

Tammy Gardener asked:

I want to know if you have ever experienced any fear or doubt in your writing ability, and if so, how did you overcome it.

YES!!!

All the time! Especially when I get a rejection letter! And even since I have published a book, I have gotten several rejections on new manuscripts I've submitted. It's ALWAYS hard to be told no. And when you see those one star or no star reviews. Or the reviews that give you a few stars and then thrash your book!

I start to doubt if I can really write a good story or if I'm wasting my time. Sometimes I think the story might be passable but the way I wrote it stinks.

It's tough!

So how do you overcome it? One of my favorite author's, Maria V. Snyder, said that she handled rejections by putting a list together of publishers and agents to send her manuscript to. She'd get everything ready for that list then send each packet off, one at a time. As soon as she received a rejection in the mail, she already had another packet ready to put in the mail that day. That way she didn't have time to stew over it.

I liked that advice.

When I get a poor review, I try to look at it optimistically. (It's hard sometimes.) I try to see what I can learn from the person's insight to improve my writing for next time. If you practice this, it becomes easier and you can see good in almost every review. Even from the people who hated it. It's okay. You don't like every book you like either. Just brush it off and read a REALLY GOOD review of your stuff.

So, what to do if you aren't to either of those stages in your writing.

Well, try joining a writing group. Writers understand what it means to be a writer and how it feels to expose themselves through the written word. They will be gentle! :) Another thing you can do is listen to your family and friends. They are always a good ego booster! And sometimes, I like to read a really lousy book. That way I feel like, if they can do it, so can I!

More than anything, I'd say 'Stick with it an believe in yourself!' I know that's hard to do, sometimes. It is for me too. I struggle with it all the time. But I keep reminding myself that I've been given this gift for a reason. There must be a reason for it. Even if it's only to entertain me. So keep plodding along. When it becomes work, it's not as much fun. Write because you enjoy it. Write for you!

If you have questions about me, my life, or whatever, leave me a comment!!! :)

2 comments:

Kaylee Baldwin said...

I'm with you on the rejection thing. It really stinks! This is great advice. I'm worried about negative reviews, but I guess I'll just have to try to brush them off. An author told me (or I read somewhere) that they framed a really good review of their book and put it next to their computer, so that way when they read a negative review, they'd read the good one and feel just a little bit better.

Rachel Harlin said...

Yes. That's a great idea too. It's hard to realize that people don't like your stuff just because you do. It's hard. So just let it roll off. :)