Saturday, September 5, 2009

Writing in 5 minutes

*If you've seen this before, it is the same exercise but using different words! Have fun!

Several years ago I read a blog about writing. I don't remember who's blog or much that I read that day. (I know. It must have really been amazing!) But I do remember doing some writing exercises. Now, I've never taken a creative writing class and any bit of writing I've mostly learned through trial and error. I also don't feel like I have a lot of time to do writing exercises. So I was skeptical about this exercise. However, this one only takes 5 minutes! And after trying it, I was utterly amazed with myself!
So let me tell you a little about this exercise. I will show you two words, which you may look at for 30 seconds, and you sit and write anything that comes to mind at the first glance. You have five minutes to complete the assignment. It doesn't have to be a full story. Just start writing. Don't let your pencil (or fingers) come off the paper (or keyboard.) Try to write for a solid 5 minutes. Push yourself and see how much you can do in 5 minutes. You'll be amazed.
There are a couple of things, though. You need to use the first word shown you as the first word of your writing. The second word needs to appear in the first sentence.

So, are you read?


Get set...


(Remember you only have 30 seconds.)


Look...


Let me know how this goes! Good luck and have fun!

No comments: